sightseeing/landmarks/kaminarimon 
Kaminarimon in Tokyo | Landmarks | Sightseeing | Tokyo Guide | Tokyo Apartments

Kaminarimon

Kaminarimon

The Kaminarimon is also known as the Thunder Gate. It comprises the two entrance gates of the Senso-ji in Asakusa. It is a popular tourist attraction. The gate itself is adorned with statues and lanterns and is 11.7 meters tall, 11.4 meters wide and has a total area of 69.3 meters square. Building in 941 by a military commander by the name of Kinmasa, originally it was to protect the great city, and the inner being called the Hozomon. It was reconstructed in 1635 and then again in 1757 and 1865 after a fire damaged it beyond repair.

Origin of the Name Kaminarimon

The origin of the Kaminarimon dates back over 1000 years ago. Constructed originally in 941 it was originally in a different location. During the Helan period it was originally constructed in Komagata Tokyo. Originally named Furaijin-mon, it contains two statures symbolizing the god of wind Fujin, and the god of Thunder, Rai. They were constructed at the location to protect the temples that lie just beyond the gate. Unfortunately, they were not enough to save it from the the destruction of fire which led to its reconstruction.

History

Built in 941 by Taira Kinmasa, the gate was originally located in Asakusa in Komagata. The statues of the god of wind Fujin and the god of Thunder Raijin are the keepers of the gate located on either side. The thought was that they were placed to protect the temple from natural disasters which could destroy the temples contained within the gates. They also were there to look over and create plentiful yields of crops that would promote goodness and peace for the world abound.

Guide Categories

Loading